Thursday, March 13, 2008

Stink free, naturally


No one wants BO. But no one really wants to absorb potentially cancer-causing chemicals directly into their lymph nodes if they can help it, either. This creates a bit of an armpit conundrum.

For while using deodorant and antiperspirant is a necessary part of our morning routines, every time we roll it on we are also exposing ourselves to aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminium zirconium, which have been linked to breast cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and are known neurotoxins. (By the way, many toothpastes contain similar aluminum compounds, which is why you are directed to call Poison Control if your kid swallows more than a “pea-sized amount.”)

Crystal deodorants have been around for a while, but I always just saw the ads in the back of women’s beauty magazines showing some chick rubbing her armpit raw with a big rock. Didn’t look too pleasant, and I couldn’t see how it would be effective.

But the other day I was in GNC and came across TCCD Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal in a roll-on form. A friend had mentioned that she used it, and another said her mother switched over after being successfully treated for breast cancer. At $3.99 for 3 ounces, it wasn’t any more expensive than my usual choice (Dove), so I figured it was a good time to try it out.

SO glad I did. I am totally stink-free, and have absolutely no kind of residue on me, which even the so-called “clear” deodorants leave. Even my right pit, which for some odd reason is always stinkier than the left, is totally fresh.

A couple of caveats:
First, this is a deodorant, not an antiperspirant. Those nasty aluminum compounds are what make you not sweat, and they do that by blocking your pores. That is obviously no bueno. So you will still sweat using the crystal deodorant, but that sweat will not smell. At all. Sweat smell is caused by bacteria, and this deodorant contains a natural antibacterial ingredient. However, in the week I have been using it I have experienced very little wetness, even under that naughty right armpit.

Second, it takes a little while to dry, like most roll-ons. Be prepared to flap your arms around a bit to help the process along. However, like I said it leaves no residue, so don’t worry about getting any on your clothes if you dress before it dries.

No comments: